You might encounter a few terms you do not recognise when first playing online roulette. One example is the split. What does splits mean in roulette? Splits are a type of bet in roulette where the player places a wager on two adjacent numbers on a roulette table.
We'll examine more on split bets in our Roulette Online blog post below.
How Does Split Work In Roulette?
A split bet is when you place a wager on two numbers that appear adjacent on the grid layout. It entails the following:
- Select which two numbers you want to bet on. Ensure that they appear in adjacent positions on the roulette table layout.
- Place your wager. You indicate that you're making a split bet by placing your chips on the line separating the two numbers.
- Wait for the roulette wheel to stop spinning, and if the ball lands on either of the numbers, you win.
What Is a Split Worth on Roulette?
A split is worth 17:1 if it pays successfully, i.e., you win 17x your initial bet. If the ball lands on either of the two numbers you picked, you win.
Can You Split Columns In Roulette?
No, you can't split columns in roulette. Split bets work specifically by placing bets on two adjacent numbers in the grid - it is an inside bet. Conversely, columns are outside bets that cover the 3 vertical number columns, where each contains 12 numbers.
To make a column bet, place your chips in the area at the bottom of the column. It covers all the numbers in a given column. If the ball appears on any of these numbers, you win your respective bet.
Splitting isn't possible for columns in roulette. They're only applicable to adjacent numbers.
4 Splits and 2 Columns Roulette Strategy
Players who use the 4 splits and 2 columns roulette strategy combine both inside & outside bets. The idea behind it is to cover a significant area of the roulette table. However, note that roulette is a game of chance where strategies cannot impact the house edge or change the odds of winning.
The strategy works as follows:
- Choose 4 adjacent numbers and place your chips on a line between them, i.e., a split bet.
- Place your wager on 2 columns, each covering 12 numbers.
- If you combine split bets and column bets, you can cover a total of 20 numbers.
- If any of the 4 split numbers land, you receive a 17:1 payout.
- Lastly, if any number in the selected column lands, you receive a 2:1 payout.
*All values (Bet Levels, Maximum Wins, etc.) mentioned in relation to this game are subject to change at any time.